Problems with externals API

Derek Bump list at dreamscapesoftware.com
Thu Jan 25 00:53:29 EST 2007

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> I've been reading the thread "Problem with altBrowser", and it got me
> thinking:  Why do we have this silly mess with files in the first place?
>
> Can we imagine a world in which externals are copied directly into a
> stack, even those for multiple platforms, and they get loaded and used,
> like the old XCMDs?
>
> Then can we build it?

Well, I'm unfamiliar with external-binding, but if you can embed a audio
or video clip into a Rev stack, then there's no reason why an external
couldn't be embedded either.

In fact, it would be wonderful to see externals listed directly inside
the Application Browser.  This way you can see exactly what stack it's
attached to, and you can hopefully help clear up some confusion for
novice users (though that's just a theory at this point).

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/