Formatting XML Data

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 00:41:48 EST 2007

On 1/24/07, Bridger Maxwell <bridgeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>   I am a first time XML user, just testing it out.  I noticed that the text
> returned by the revXMLText() function has no formatting (returns, tabs) and
> isn't very easy to read.  Is there a way to format this so it is easier to
> read, or would it be best to keep the XML how it is now?  I am not sure what
> the standard is, but I thought XML should be formatted to be easy to read,
> like HTML.

There is an un-documented feature that might help. Instead of using
      put revXMLText(tDocID) into tXMLtext
try
    put revXMLText(tDocID,,true) into tXMLtext

The "true" does a bit of formatting for you, although not very much.

If you want more formatting, you might be interested in my XML demo
stack <http://www.troz.net/Rev/tutorials/XMLdemo1.rev.gz>. It includes
a function called formatXMLText() that does a better job of laying out
the text, although I'm not sure that it would cope well with very
large files.

HTH,
Sarah