FormatForPrinting

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Mon Jan 22 13:22:09 EST 2007

Thanks Chipp - and Mark, I have no idea if better printing is coming
along but it certainly should: I do not think RunRev's support for
printing is adequate for a modern RAD tool: one very old issue is
that one can't get at the settings made by the user in the Page Setup
dialog, but others do include the kludge which is FormatForPrinting,
the great difficulty you have now about working out exactly how many
pages are needed for a printout of a given field, and the fact that
you can't find out the limits of the marking engine within the
printed page for a given printer, despite the fact that many other
apps obviously do have access to this info, some of them on more than
one platform.

I would really like a packaged printing library offering a simple
reporting feature one could build on, with page numbers, headings,
previews, back and forth views and so on. I do not believe such a
thing could be constructed in pure Transcript (or Revscript or
whatever) today, because not all the building blocks are there.

The usual 2 Eurocents

Graham