calling a remote function..

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 06:49:45 EST 2007

On 1/20/07 6:51 AM, "David Bovill" <david at openpartnership.net> wrote:

> Now what would be great would be if you could use arrays to marshall the
> data, but unfortunately arrays cannot be passed as params

I am using arrays all the time and do the following when I want to 'delimit'
an array for a variety of reasons.

put userDataArray into pVar
combine tempVar using cr and tab

send "updateLog pVar"

--and on the other end
split pVar using cr and tab
put pVar into userLogArr

Split and combine are very fast in my experience.

Of course you can now purge pVar before sending by:
put userDataArray into pVar
combine tempVar using cr and tab
filter pVar with "*desiredDataRows*"
filter pVar without "*unNeededDataRows*"
send "updateLog pVar"

Another (array.combine + filter) technique is to:

set the itemDel to tab
put tab into t
get dataArray
combine it using cr and tab
filter it with ("*"&t& "toDo" &t&"*")
repeat for each line LNN in it
   --maintenance  task here
  put "done" into item 3 of dataArray[item 1 of LNN]

end repeat
--discard (it) since we are done updating
-- assumes "toDo" is in a tab-delim column of the array element

maryJohnArrive.jpg t 640 t 480 t toDo t resize t Party Photos t 1/1/07 t

Jim Ault
Las Vegas