calling a remote function..

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 19 16:32:36 EST 2007

Dick Kriesel wrote:

> On 1/19/07 7:50 AM, "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:
>> Ding ding. You win the prize.
>> answer value("foo(" & q(param1) & comma & q(param2) & ")", btn "bar")
>
> But note that if a param contains more than one line, the value function
> does not return the expected result.  Ding dong.
>
> Try this script for button "PressMe" to see for yourself:
>
> on mouseUp pMouseBtnNum
>   put "1,000" into param1
>   put "soldiers" & cr & "coming home" into param2
>   answer value("foo(" & quote & param1 & quote & comma & \
>       quote & param2 & quote & ")",btn "bar")
> end mouseUp
>
> If you'd like to use the value function with multi-line params, please
> consider voting for bug 2904:
> Allow 'value' to evaluate expressions containing returns like 'send'

Good considerations, Dick.

Stepping back from it, even a very complete solution will yield code
that's difficult to read/maintain/enhance.

Out of sheer laziness if nothing else, if I was faced with this I'd
probably either find some way to put what I need in the message path, or
perhaps even consider a global array to hold any needed values between
handlers.

--
  Richard Gaskin Managing Editor, revJournal