Physical Screen Size

Tim Ponn alptex2 at orwell.net
Fri Jan 19 10:26:31 EST 2007

Mark,

I understand why folks set their screen res the way they do...I know
someone who always sets it at the highest possible...never mind that
it's nearly impossible to see the icons on their desktop without
magnification!  ;=)

Here's my application and why it's important to me...

We designed and built an extremely accurate 3 axis cnc micro-driller
about 7 years ago which is controlled by a HyperCard stack.  We use
it in production to drill holes as small as .010" dia. through a
variety of plastics with a guaranteed accuracy of .00025".  The "work
area" is small, just 4" square...but it has served our needs
perfectly.  In my stack, I represent the work area on screen in
exactly the same size...WYSIWYG-in-extreme, if you will.  When the
file is loaded, the pattern is displayed.  As each hole is drilled,
the appropriate circle is "filled in" on the screen.
I've used Rev for about 5 years now, and am converting this stack
into a rev app.  If we were only using it in house, no biggie, I
would just tweak the display like I did last time.  But now we're
thinking of building and selling these machines (with perhaps a 12"
square work area and higher RPM drill head to allow for smaller
drills) to others.

Now...it just occurred to me as I was writing this...a good work
around may be to tweak it on my monitor until it's the same scale,
then use my set resolution to recalculate and change size based on
the resolution of the user.  In fact, I'm certain that will work.

Thanks for your poking, you got me to think!

Best Regards,

Timothy R. Ponn
ALPTEX, Inc.