StartUp message

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 08:35:32 EST 2007

On 17 Jan 2007, at 13:14, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> The startUp message is different. The docs contain the following
> description of the startUp message:
>
> "Sent to the first stack opened when the application starts up."
>
> So, this appears to be exactly true: the message is sent to the
> stack and not to the card. This causes some confusion and it is
> inconvenient for me, because usually my preOpenstack and startUp
> handlers are connected and I would like to look at them in the same
> script editor. Moreover, HyperCard does send the startUp message to
> the card rather than the stack.
>
> I would like to know your opinion about this.

Not an opinion, just an observation. In "cardless" situations such as
cgi scripts,the startup message is the only one available.  I have no
knowledge of the internal workings of the engine, but I wonder if
this is relevant and is part of the reason why "startup" goes to the
stack and not the card.

But if it's possible to implement, I can't see any downside.

Cheers
Dave