OT: SSH on OS X

Brent Anderson brentj84062 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 13:36:48 EST 2007

Hello.

It's very easy to set up SSH on your Mac (System Preferences >
Sharing > Check "Remote Login" box) but you may have a few pitfalls
in the way if you're trying to connect from anywhere other than your
local network. You didn't specify too much detail, but I would assume
you're trying to connect to your mac from outside your home network
(From work, perhaps) and your problem is probably any firewall you
have between your desktop Mac and your "remote location." The
firewall at the remote location (if any) shouldn't be a problem as
most firewalls only lock out outgoing connections rather than
incoming ones. Since this is the case, you'll need to open port 22 on
your firewall (Probably using port forwarding, but port triggering
may work as well).

I would highly recommend using Hamachi (http://www.hamachi.cc) if
you're trying to make connections between remote computers. Hamachi
sets up a virtual private network that effectively connects computers
as if on a local area network. The free version works, but the
premium version will overcome any firewall or NAT problems you may
have. There is a client for Mac OS X Called HamachiX (http://
hamachix.spaceants.net/)  that, although not officially supported by
the Hamachi team, works great and does everything I've needed it too.
I've tested using hamachi without any firewall settings and it works
most of the time. If you have trouble with it, you can open a command
line, type "hamachi logout" "hamachi stop" and "hamachi start debug"
in one window to switch it all off and then turn on a window to
monitor it's progress. From there open another window and type
"hamachi login" to watch for any problems in the startup process. It
will tell you where it is connecting (Including the port) and if it
is successful or not. That way you can tune your firewall settings to
fit any problems you may be having with Hamachi.

Thanks,
Brent Anderson
CMSEC