Any way to use BlueTooth Flic barcode scanner in Rev?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jan 11 23:18:34 EST 2007

Recently, rgould8 at aol.com wrote:

>  I'm curious to know if the mini sends barcodes to Revolution as if you're
> using a keyboard, or if you have to write some special driver connections to
> get data out of it.

Here's the "official" word I got back from a representative:

> IntelliScanner mini is not designed for use with our
> business software (such as Inventory and the Business Integration Kit)
> or third-party applications.
>
> You'll probably be able to use your mini with keyboard emulation for
> your Revolution app, but third-party integration is unsupported with our
> consumer product line.

I'm still trying to get details on how to possibly connect the scanner
output to Rev but they clearly do not support any app development with the
consumer model -- you need to go with one of their business products for
that.

As it stands, the connection from the scanner to the computer is a little
klunky.  You use two cables and a Keyspan adapter in between.  Apparently,
once you connect the scanner to the computer and the data has transferred,
the scanner is automatically wiped clean for the next scans.  I'm using the
kitchen software, which connects to an (online?) database in an attempt to
match your scanned codes to products in the database.  It's pretty cool, but
several of the products I scanned have incomplete info or do not appear in
the database at all.

Because of the form factor (much like a keyring flashlight) it is quite easy
to scan items around the house and one can see how scanning could become
addictive.  Their motto: "Scan responsibly".

More as it comes in...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director