XML?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 14:57:51 EST 2007

--- Brian Durney <durneybr at uvsc.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to write a stack that reads and
> displays data from an
> XML file.  In the Revolution dictionary I found
> various functions and
> messages for working with XML.  However, when I
> called the function
> revCreateXMLTreeFromFile, I got an error that said
> it couldn't find a
> handler.
>
> In the description of some of the XML functions and
> messages it says
> that when building a standalone application, the XML
> library must be
> included.  I am not using a standalone app, but it
> seems like I might
> need to do something to tell it to use the XML
> library.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to use the XML library, and
> are there examples
> of using it other than the fragments in the
> dictionary?
> Thanks,
> Brian Durney

Hi Brian,

'revCreateXMLTreeFromFile' is actually a function, not
a command; if the XML is parsed correctly, it returns
a number - the ID of the tree that it has read into
memory and that you can use in subsequent calls to the
XML library.
For learning hwo to work with XML in Revolution, your
best resource is the excellent XML Guide that Sarah
Reichelt put together - you can download it from the
runrev.com website at the following URL:
<http://support.runrev.com/resources/xml.php>
Also, the unsupported example stacks contain an
outliner that displays XML data in a tree structure.
You can find it at this URL:
<http://support.runrev.com/resources/unsupported.php>

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.