Broadcasts On OS X - Oops!

Brent Anderson brentj84062 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 12:30:33 EST 2007

Hello.

I think that the point was to use broadcasts not to use another
address. I've found the same problem on OS X where when you write
packets to a .255 address they don't get routed across the network,
as if it were a regular address. In looking back on other threads on
this subject, it's been noted that this is a bug in Mac OS X, so it
may not be possible. Am I mistaken in this, or is that just the sad
truth of it all?

Although this is more of a hack than anything, you could use a loop
from 1 to 254 and use the current hosts IP address to emulate the
effect of a broadcast.

Thanks,
Brent Anderson
CMSEC