beep-answer-freeze

Brad Sampson programmer711 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 18:39:29 EST 2007

I was just recently experiencing problems that are probably attributed to
the same thing.  I had an image called image "Play Output".  In the script,
it said:

wait 15 ticks with messages
show image "Play Output"

It would show the image, then it would get the error that image "Play
Output" doesn't exist.  It was because I was having an... imaginary error
somewhere else in script.  I tried for hours to track down the error, but
everything else was working fine.  Finally, I had to use a roundabout way to
do it.  The beep command takes time to execute, so another command might be
getting an error that doesn't really exist... I mean... its not a real
error, but revolution thinks it is... anyway, Revolution throws the error
out and the very next line of code has problems.  These are all roundabout,
but one of them might work:
1.  Put the line "wait 0 ticks" in between those lines of code
2.  Try replacing "answer "hi"" with something else, and see if that line
has problems instead
3.  If nothing else works, and your desperate, write your own handler that
makes a substack "answer box"

On number 3, I had the same problem, but with the revCopyFile command.  It
would take 30 seconds to execute, even on miniscule files.  I had to use a
shell command, and then it took a matter of milliseconds.

I hope one of those fixes your problem... although they're not fixing the
problem, they're going around it.  But if you can use a roundabout way and
save a few hours of debuging, that's worth it, right?
Brad
CMESC