Working with Microsoft Exchange Server

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 04:52:41 EST 2007

Hiya,

I'd first suggest they turn on POP3 and IMAP services: I can't see any
decent reason to turn these off. Arm wrestle if you need to.
They wanna dictate? Dictate back.

But, there is another way (I'm assuming here that they are using the
latest version of Exchange). Exchange offers Outlook Web Access, ie:
Webmail. This can also be accessed with RPC over https, without having
to have Outlook configured to connect 'directly' to an Exchange server.
I haven't looked too far into the protocol but I reckon it's doable in Rev.

If you have an Exchange email account, the Outlook client is free
anyhow: Maybe you can use WSH to control it and then script this via Rev
(this would require a Windows PC).

Another alternative would be to set up a rule in that Exchange email
account to forward to another email address as well (the rule having
reformatted the subject line with a specific keyword say, in order to
parse it in Rev).

Depending on what they are doing with the Exchange setup, they may have
a 'legitimate' reason for turning off IMAP (multiple domains) but
turning off POP3 is downright stupid: What if someone wants to access
their email from a PDA? You could justify the need for POP3 by stating
that you get service messages sent to your mobile...

Cheers,

Luis.