Server-side type-ahead data for Rev standalone

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Fri Jan 5 13:51:22 EST 2007

It's not clear whether you're developing a thin client or a web app.
The best features of Rev are clearly shown with the thin client of
which I'd suggest for this.

I don't think mySQL used locally would be too slow and the network
would be a bigger slowdown, but the kind of response you desire can
really only accomplished in ram, which is where rev lives. I'd
suggest a cache made from a list of keywords that were indexed in the
database. This cache could be created when starting up and when a
record is added and then loaded into a variable. You only have to get
the list of the keywords from all the records in the database - so
that's a lot less text than loading the whole records and should be
fairly quick even on the net.

180000 records x 6 character key = 1080000 = 1 megabyte.

  The code for the "guessing" would be up to you but I'm sure it's not
that hard. The selected item in the cache would be the key for a
search of the rest of the record from the database and fill the
fields. Lightning fast. Rev's built-in dictionary does this, as does
Galaxy's message box.

By the way, mySQL is not a 'freebie'. And yes, Valentina will work
fine as well.

sqb

--

stephen barncard