Droplets and AppleEvents

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 12:41:24 EST 2007

On 2/28/07 1:51 AM, "Dave" <dave at looktowindward.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot Jim. It's first thing in the morning here and I haven't
> quite woken up - not enough tea flowing through my system yet!
>
> I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. I have a Standalone App that
> has a Splash Screen "Place Holder", this loads and then calls another
> stack, then depending on what the user does, other stacks will be
> opened/closed etc.
>
>  From looking at what you wrote below, I am guessing that you mean I
> should have one object (in a separate stack file?) with a Script that
> has the appleEvent handler in it? This would be doable in my case,
> but I would have have the appleEvent handler object in the Splash
> Screen Stack and obviously not close it anymore.
>
> Also I'm not sure if I should be using frontScripts or backScripts. I
> want this handler to take priority over any other appleEvent handlers
> and I don't want them to get the appleEvent message. In this case
> should I add the object to the frontScripts and then NOT pass the
> message?

Remember that closing a stack does not necessarily remove it from memory or
keep Rev from accessing it even if the stack has been closed and removed
from memory.

The idea of the back script is that it can be where the actual working code
resides and all other instances are calls to that same script.  This makes
it a library-type script.

One way of doing it is to insert a script from your splash screen card and
just not remove it.  Another is to have a loop check to see if the script is
already in the back, and if not, add it.  There is an example of this in the
Docs.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas