Failed Windows Standalone

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 26 21:25:08 EST 2007

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
> Well, I decided to resurrect 2.7.4 and try again. The failure was
> different this time. Originally, with the 2.8 build, it had said that
> the initialization had failed. This time the message "Only part of a
> ReadProcessMemory or WritProcessMemory request was completed." appeared,
> but in both cases, no cigars! I still haven't checked out Derek's
> suggestions, since I have to figure out how to use the Resource Hacker
> he suggested I try (with caveats of cours - like ResEdit of old)
>
> Any other thoughts from the peanut gallery?

This is a Windows copy error, usually due to incompatibility between
your hard drive and a peripheral (usually a CD driver.) I found several
references to this on the web (search for "ReadProcessMemory or
WriteProcessMemory Error"). Most of them I looked at suggested the same fix:

***

<http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8903>

When you try to copy data from your CD drive, or you attempt to install
a program from your CD drive, you receive either of the following:

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Only part of a readprocessmemory or writeprocessmemory request was
completed.

This behavior will occur if Windows is configured to use a transfer mode
that the CD drive does NOT support.

To resolve this behavior:

1. Start / Run / devmgmt.msc / OK.

2. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

3. Double-click the channel where your CD drive is connected, typically
the Secondary IDE Channel.

4. Select the Advanced Settings tab.

5. For the Device that represents your CD drive, toggle Transfer Mode to
PIO Only and press OK.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com