Something that Drives me *CRAZY*

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Feb 26 10:07:14 EST 2007

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:23:08 +0000, Dave wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, time would work, or would be better to have it so you had to
> mouse up, mouse down (select the object) and then mouse down again to
> move it.

Sorry to be a dissenting voice here, but having to do *that* would
drive me crazy. :-) In fact, one of the things that has happened in
recent years in OS X has been that in order to drag text you have to
hilite it, hold the mouse down for 1/2 a second or so, and then drag.
It *used* to be that you could just hilite, click and drag with no
delay, but apparently it was causing some issues for some people
dragging text when they didn't want to. But the current behavior drives
me nuts because I was conditioned to the earlier behavior.

I think what's needed here is that the IDE implement what used to be
called a "slop rect" - a region of a couple of pixels around the mouse
location in all directions. If the mouse moves ONLY within the slop
rect, then the underlying object doesn't move, but dragging the mouse
out of the slop rect would cause the object to be dragged.

Just my 2 cents,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com