Key Speaker

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 16:28:41 EST 2007

> HOWEVER, as cannot get xev to behave very well on Mac
> OS X I cannot work out how to differentiate the left
> and right function keys - and it would be extremely
> good to have something that could say "Right command
> key" and so forth.
As far as I know, there is no difference between them on a standard
keyboard.  The circuitry is designed to make them identical to the operating
system, thus the same signal is generated if you held down one or both.

You would have to locate or build a special keyboard that sent different
codes, and then design software to allow the operating system to know what
to do with these new codes for all the apps that would run on the computer,
(eg. email, browsers, spreadsheets, menus, utilities, etc).  In addition,
you would need to create and install keyboard definitions for each language.

Not something I would know how to do, but there may be something out there
that could help.  Google for input devices or other term that could get you
closer.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas