ANN: Vista "Gotchas" You Should Know About

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Feb 23 17:44:00 EST 2007

On 2/23/07, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> But auto-updates, there's the stickler.  Where does one store downloaded
> app parts on both Mac and Win so it can be as available to all users as
> the executable in the Applications/Program Files directory is?

On WinXP:
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\YourApp\"

Not sure on Vista.

If you create a portable app and it resides OUTSIDE of Programs File,
then the updates can be stored in the Portable Apps folder. Check out
the new ButtonGadget2 to see what I mean. It installs everything in a
single folder, including ButtonSets (the users documents).

ThoughtOffice (www.thoughtoffice.com) is another portable application
architecture which stored everything BUT the users documents in it's
own enclosed folders.