ANN: Vista "Gotchas" You Should Know About

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 02:52:52 EST 2007

Jim Ault wrote a long message outlining some ideas
about how software developers make their money.

Gosh, I must be stupid, but the only time I developed
a piece of software for a large market ("Listen Hear"
CD - about 4 years ago) I ended up with negligible
money.

Now I develop software for 3 computers (running Linux)
that ornament my cellar (coyly called "The Language
Centre") and I make quite a reasonable amount of
money.

Not all businesses need to take heed of the way most
people are being lead. My "Language Centre" charges
people about 2-times the going rate for
English-language classes here in Bulgaria - funny how
there is never enough room for would-be takers: take
care of quality for the few and the masses will run
over the cliff - and, Hey, Charles Darwin and the
18-19th century Whigs weren't all wrong.

Oh, and bye-the-bye; in Bulgaria (and, presumably
other parts of the "Second World") Windows XP will
last a long time as very few people have got the $$$
to stump up for a jazzy new PC to run Vista. Most
people here are either trying to stump up the cash to
pay for legal copies of XP and MSOffice, or trying to
cover up the fact that they are running pirate
software - the 'vista' is slightly more realistic than
idealistic at the moment.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.