Performance Problem with large file

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Thu Feb 22 10:23:01 EST 2007

I first want to thank everyone that helped out with my file path parsing
problems!

Now that I'm past that issue, I've got a new one.  What I'm trying to do
with this program is read a CSV file then write out a formatted XML file
of the data.  This actually works quite well now but the problem is that
I'm displaying the file in a rather large text field as it is being
built up.  Each line of the CSV file generates about 40 lines of XML.

In the test file I have, it takes about 3 seconds per record (total of
98 records).   Just to see where the hang up was, I set the visibility
of the output field to false, generated the file data, then turned it
back on and it only takes about 3 seconds for the entire file!  The
problem is that when visibility is turned off, I have this big "hole" in
the middle of the application (about 3/4ths of the screen) which then
comes back on when it's done.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can keep this displayed on the screen but
not pay such a high performance penalty?  If it makes a difference, I am
appending to this file by using "put after ..." on the output textfield.

Thanks!

Len Morgan
KTTK, Inc.