Samba lessons needed

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Feb 21 21:09:11 EST 2007

Phil Davis wrote:

 >With 'open process' on Windows, do you need to use Rev's standard
slashes instead of Windows-standard backslashes? I would understand the
backslashes if you were using shell()... just asking - I don't have time
right now to find the answer.

Hi Phil,

As far as I know, no. The backslashes seem to be a demand of Samba itself, i.e. what follows the program call is a list of parameters given to Samba in the form it demands. The idea of using 3 backslashes is from an example I saw on the Internet. Also, when it produces a network report for instance (my first experiment, which worked unfailingly at first, but now refuses to produce a report), the names of the computers are given with backslashes, although I am using Linux. It could be that the Windows standard has been adopted for consistency, since Samba is also for Windows. Here is an example I saved. Please note that additional information in rightmost columns has been cut out. It wouldn't display properly here:

WORKGROUP
	\\WARREN
		\\WARREN\ADMIN$
		\\WARREN\IPC$
		\\WARREN\Lexmark
		\\WARREN\DESKTOP
MSHOME
	\\JOHN
		\\JOHN\Lexmark
		\\JOHN\HPColorL
		\\JOHN\C$
		\\JOHN\ADMIN$
		\\JOHN\C
		\\JOHN\print$
		\\JOHN\IPC$
	\\BOB-DESKTOP
		\\BOB-DESKTOP\Lexmark
		\\BOB-DESKTOP\ADMIN$
		\\BOB-DESKTOP\IPC$
		\\BOB-DESKTOP\boblinux
		\\BOB-DESKTOP\print$

Note that in my 2nd experiment (first line) I first of all tried it without using backslashes as escape codes for the spaces, but when it didn't work I tried putting them in as I would do for Shell. It didn't work either. But I can't help by doing many other further experiments in Ubuntu, since it seems that Samba has packed up altogether on my machine. I know what I'll do. If I get time in the next day or two ('cos I am also very busy with other work) I'll try doing these things in Linspire on another machine. I can also try it from a pendrive using Puppy Linux. I'll let you know what happens, OK?***

Oh, by the way, I now remember that I DID try various combinations of forward slashes too, but to no avail. When I used forward slashes, Samba complained, but when I used backslashes, it didn't complain. I think that the problem anyway is not with this first line but possibly with the password business, but I won't be dogmatic about that, since if I really knew the answer there wouldn't be any point in asking other people for advice here.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

*** I've just tried my 2nd experiment from a Puppy live CD (the Samba modules are in /usr/sbin). I got exactly the same results as before: It runs perfectly in the terminal (with the backslashes as shown), but not in Revolution.