Parallels Desktop

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 19 22:30:33 EST 2007

Joe is completely correct. You still have to buy Windows to install
using Boot Camp.  Sorry if my post suggested that Boot Camp was a way
to avoid having to buy WinXP (or Vista). Quite the opposite--neither
Boot Camp nor Parallels include a Windows install disk, so both will
require coughing up for Windows.

I was just suggesting that one could buy Windows, try out Boot Camp
and if it meets ones needs (as it does mine) then avoid the added
expense of Parallels on top of WinXP or Vista.

Brent gave a very cogent summary of the advantages and disadvantages
of virtualization.  Thanks.

Right now, when I work on my Mac, I simply save anything I want to
port to Windows on my XP partition. Then when I reboot into WinXP, I
have ready access to it.  Of course, that only works if you format
your WinXP partition using FAT32, leaving you with a 30 (?32) GB
maximum partition size. Otherwise your Windows partition will not be
visible/accessible from OSX.

Marian