Multiple undo and redo

Marielle Lange mlange at widged.com
Mon Feb 19 05:29:27 EST 2007

Richard,

Thanks for all these details. The state approach is something I am
keen on investigating as well. I know that Andre in a previous
discussion had discussed the idea of storing and restoring states.
Was this solution implemented or were there only ideas being discussed?

Malte, what did you do for drops, where you have 5 undos?

Anybody else on the list with programming undos? What are the
different approaches possible. What are the pros and cons of each
approach (works well for data / works for ui content)?

Marielle

> Most HI guidelines define an undoable action as one that affects
> data, but operations which change selection do not affect the queue.
>
> But Rev operates differently:  If you move a button, then click
> anywhere on the card or do anything else which changes the object
> selection, executing an Undo command will not return the button to
> its pre-move location.  In fact, the mere click off of the object
> purges the Undo queue altogether (okay, maybe "queue" isn't the
> right word for a single-item Undo, but I'm optimistic about the
> future <g>).
>
> And not only is the undo queue purged, but when it changes as a
> result of a selection change the undoChanged message isn't sent as
> one would expect.
>

> When I think of good Undo architectures, I tend to think of good
> frameworks.
[...]