Multiple undo and redo

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Feb 18 18:58:13 EST 2007

Ben Fisher wrote:

> In the script editor: there is no good reason. I have written undo for
> small scale text editors, simply by remembering the last 10 states. It
> is not like this is storing images in memory or something.

Thanks for the background info.  At least we can spare the longer part
of the conversation about what Undo means under the hood.  Seems like
you've got that down.

When you implemented your own multi-level Undo, what language was it in?
  And did you have the assistance of a framework (e.g., Cocoa)?  And
what limited it to 10 states?

To suggest there is "no good reason" may be a bit less productive than
I'll spend time with here, but I do agree it would be useful to have.

Rev does a lot of work through contract. Perhaps with your experience
they might hire you to add this to Rev's editor?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation