searching archives

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Feb 17 14:17:04 EST 2007

sims-

Saturday, February 17, 2007, 4:36:15 AM, you wrote:

> What URL do you use when searching the List and why do you use that on?

I'd forget google. Two problems here: first of all, their indexing of
this list has gotten dramatically worse over the last year, to to
point where I find it unusable. Secondly, google's search algorithms
have a rather interesting way of determining dates: searching for
items within the last month, say, will attempt to return pages that
have been updated within that period, rather than pages that were
created during that period. So a listserv article from three years ago
will suddenly appear at the top of the pile when the list software
does a reindex. And there's no apparent way around this.

But add nabble to your list. Gmane's the one I find the most useful,
although sometimes one of the others will have a search algorithm that
turns up something gmane's missed.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net