Adding a scrolling field to a stack of cards

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 22:46:50 EST 2007

> I have the beginnings of an application/stack. I've created the menus
> which are a group, appear with all cards; but I now want to add a
> scrolling text field with it's contents to all of the cards in the
> easiest possible manner. How? Involves some more grouping, but I
> don't see how.

Create your field, select it and choose "Group" from the menu or
toolbar. It doesn't matter if there is only 1 object in a group. Then
in the group's properties set the backgroundBehavior to true. This
will make it appear on every new card, but it needs to be manually
placed on all existing cards. Go to every card and choose "Place
group" from the Object menu. If you have more than a few cards, it
might be worth writing a script to do the placing - look up 'place' in
the dictionary.

As with Hypercard's backgrounds, this group is a single object even
though it appears on all cards, so editing it on one card applies to
all. Set sharedText to true or false depending on whether you want the
text to be the same on every card.

HTH,
Sarah