answer dialog over modal window

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:25:02 EST 2007

Well, I ended up solving my own problem, but I'm pretty sure there's
a bug here, as Rev is not behaving as the docs say it should in this
case. I'm pretty sure, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong,
that the docs say that using open stack "blahblah" as sheet will open
the stack as a modal window when running under OS's that don't
support sheets. But for some reason it's not working correctly. When
I changed the command to open stack "blahblah" as modal, and then
opened the answer dialog, it appeared over the modal window
correctly. Using sheet with the open stack command is doing something
different. I mean, the dialog appears as modal and works as modal,
but when you try to open another modal over it, like the answer
dialog, no dice.

Not a huge issue since there's a workaround, but I think I'll report
this to Runtime. Either the behavior should reflect the docs, or the
docs should reflect the behavior. :-)

Thanks,
Chris

On Feb 12, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Chris Sheffield wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem. Seems to be happening only under
> Windows (tested on Windows XP, server 2003). I'm not sure if it's
> something I've done wrong or if I've found a bug in Rev. Maybe
> someone can help. Running Rev 2.7.4.
>
> I have an application that at one point opens a modal dialog for
> the user to change some settings. When the user clicks the save
> button, a verification routine runs to make sure all necessary
> settings are correct. If there's a problem, I simply bring up the
> answer dialog to inform the user so they can fix it. But there
> seems to be a problem opening a modal window (answer dialog) over
> another modal window. The answer dialog opens behind the already
> open modal window instead of in front of it. And there's no way to
> switch to it. I even tried using Task Manager to switch to the
> answer dialog, but that didn't do anything. So the application
> looks as though it's hanging, when really it's just waiting for
> user input. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a workaround
> for it?
>
> Everything works fine on the Mac. Of course, on the Mac I'm opening
> my settings dialog as a sheet rather than as a regular modal window.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

> Chris Sheffield