U3 Validation

Malte Brill revolution at derbrill.de
Sun Feb 11 04:26:07 EST 2007

Hi Derek,

I also had that error when I validated drops for U3. Talking to
Claudio of U3 it turned out I had to fiddle a bit with the
manifest.u3i file inside the .u3p packackage. This package is
basically a .zip folder. You can change the extension to .zip, search
for the manifest file inside and open it with a text editor.

You need to make a change to the <options> element.

<options>
<!-- Defines the minimal (estimated) space required for the
application. -->
<minFreeSpace>number of MBs required</minFreeSpace>
<upgrade appData="add" deviceExec="overwrite"/>
</options>

The formula to calculate the number of MBs is:

U3P File Size + Uncompressed Size of DEVICE and DATA folder + 12%
overhead.

Save the manifest file and change the extension of the package back
to .u3p

Hope that helps,

Malte