CGI's - can they return quick and then continue doing something?

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Tue Feb 6 08:30:16 EST 2007

I have not had to do this before - or rather I tired once and failed -
but thought I"d ask before trying again... essentially can a CGI
return an OK to the Rev client and continue with the execution of the
script? This would avoid the Rev client locking up waiting for the cgi
to return.

 In my case I have a graphic intensive application on the web server (
a renderer) which i want to activate from Rev to create images on the
web site. It may take a minute or so to create the image on the
server... so what"s the best strategy? I was thinking either to et the
CGI to return early and allow the client to manually or automatically
refresh the image display, or secondly to do an asynchronous call to
the CGI I guess by using load?