A hard challenge anyone?

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sun Feb 4 08:45:22 EST 2007

On 04/02/07, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> David Bovill wrote:
> > The hard bit is to be able to match the function call...
>
> What is this to be used for?

Its for graphing relationships between handlers. An itch I have been wanting
to scratch for a very long time now. A problem I have are "dead functions" -
that is the stuff hanging around in libraries that are used rarely or
perhaps never. I also want to be able to reliably extract stand-alone
collections of handlers from these libraries so that you do not have to
distribute entire libraries with the finished code.

If this is a code base analysis tool, one in which you might already
> have had occasion to obtain a list of function names, might it simplify
> things to search for those?

To work backwards? Hmmm... I guess but it would miss one point which seems
to be proving  somewhat useful - the ability to spot "missing" handlers
prior to coming across the bug. The graphing tool bundles all handlers it
cannot find into one a "Missing" box. It is not as useful as the ability to
extract code and view realationships - so the approach you suggest has
merit... still would need to distinguish between handlers with the same name
and different types (command, function, get/setprop) in any case?