OT: Quicktime Streaming Server on LInux

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Feb 3 05:56:20 EST 2007

OK it seems unbeknownst to me two others on the team had already
gotten the Dreahost account... (talk about the left hand not knowing
what the right hand is doing!) which is good because setting up
QT server on Fedora Core 3 doesn't seem to be a smart thing to try to do.
(Fedora Core 4 and up... its a snap...)

and Dreamhost offered Code Monster accounts to
US non-profits for free...(tax break thing) we are just going to use it as
repository and link the media into our web pages on our main
server (kind of like a mini "akamai" server for us)

So, we are getting up to speed here...
its back to the delivery specs:

We are talking about 100MB movie files that are the size of the
file *after* being encoded to QT Pro's MPEG4  15fps, keyframes 150
data rate 400. 320 X 240...(really too small if there is any display
type in the original for-full-screen-design)

So, I will start testing again with the users who were complaining
before. Ganga in Australia (on windows) says nothing will work
on her box at home, when she came here, it worked fine...
nothing wrong with our Rev stack at all.

My next question then is: Can anyone verify this:

I'm told that you *must* deliver all
three versions of any given movie, because QT streaming
server will try to grok the connection speed of the client
and then deliver the highest quality option available on the server.
if the client's perceived data rate is below anything you have
on the web server, then QT server, just won't serve anything at all!

And to make matters more complicated, deep in the innards
of QT are user settable prefs, that I doubt any naive user
would ever go tinker with...but which hold key
info on how the client QT app is going to interact with the
streaming server.

So how does this all play out for revolution players?
I guess I will just try and see.. but are you all really
putting up three different movies for every one movie
you are trying to stream into a Rev Player?

Aside: I see the "macho news sites" developed by the famed
Rob Conroy ...see www.naplesnews.com for his latest creation,
he even has enticed former Google engineers to join him
with 6 figure pay checks...Rob has since been recruited
by the Washington Post to head up their interactive media
team..   despite their 2 milliion dollar a year ticket for the
web site  + all the expertise they *still* off a "download"
option for every movie they serve... even their 120 megabyte
"6PM News" which is "telling" it says: "No way are we
going to able to guarantee a streamed experience for
every visitor... so if you want to just download and view,
here you go...."

So the question then is (similar to what Stephan asked before)
is there someway for Rev to ascertain if streaming will work
and if not, then tell the user "Your system will not support
streaming video, please click Download to first save the movie
to your hard drive. We estimate this will take 25 minutes on your
connection."

Trevor offered in response to Stephan "
The EnhancedQT external lets you query the download state of the url
being loaded in the player using qtGetMovieLoadState() if you end up
needing to monitor that.

I suppose that will help us.

Stephan did you get your 4-5 megabyte movies to appear?