Mainstack Substack clarification

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Mon Dec 31 15:15:12 EST 2007

On 31 Dec 2007, at 20:39, Mark Swindell wrote:

> I'm just clarifying for myself what happens to a stack when its
> Main Stack property is changed.
>
> Scenario:
> Main stack "YellowStack" is opened and saved.
> Main stack "BlueStack" is opened and saved.
>
> Now, in BlueStack's stack inspector I change its MainStack property
> to "YellowStack."  BlueStack is "subsumed" as a substack of
> YellowStack, while its original incarnation, BlueStack, remains on
> disk as a main stack, in its last saved state?
>
> Is this accurate?

I'd say so. However, if rev crashes now, yellow stack on the disk
won't have a substack either :)

One of the most strangest thing I had to get in regards to rev, is the
multiple kinds of stacks.

here a list i wrote on the forum once:

1 Stacks are files
2 Stacks are part of files when they're called mainstacks and substacks
3 Each stack file has exactly one mainstack
4 A stack file can have many substacks
5 A mainstack and it's substacks which are an executable can't be saved
6 Mainstacks and substacks can also exist only in memory, without
being within files or executables

Your problem sounds like it's covered by the last point...
--

official ChatRev page:
http://chatrev.bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers: