QT + SMIL = BAD COMBO

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Wed Dec 19 07:23:23 EST 2007

Yes - I wander if they work though - ie in terms of exporting to standalone
QuickTime - Id put more money on them than SMIL.

I am not sure how much the XML import engine and the corresponding media
links (.qtl) are still used / part of any QuickTime future. It may be worth
looking at on the grounds that it is the only (easy and fast) technology I
can find which allows (cron/cgi) scripts to generate QuickTime files to be
embedded in web pages. I guess that there are a few folks out there doing
this - and unlike SMIL relying on it? But it's a guess.

On a similar note - I tried to find a way to just create / use reference
(non-standalone) movies - a lot slower to create - but the main thing was I
could find nothing at all that allows you to figure out what external files
/ urls these reference movies link to - that is not AppleScript, the
enhanced QuickTime external or a bunch of command line tools... I was hoping
to use some small QuickTime playable file that you could pass around and use
as a bookmark. No joy - once the file is created no way to figure out what
file or times it links to! SMIL / .qtl files alow this - if would be great
to be able to do this finds how to do this cross platform - or embed
metadata into a QuickTime file (not Spotlight). Text tracks?