Eclipse or Visual Studio on the road map?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 14:26:03 EST 2007

--- Sadhunathan Nadesan <sadhu at castandcrew.com> wrote:
> Just a curiosity question,
>
> On the *nix side, Eclipse has pretty much
> commoditized the IDE market, and
> companies like Borland have jumped on the bandwagon
> (e.g, JBuilder went
> the Eclipse route).  Same with open source projects
> like Ruby on Rails.
> On the Windows side, Eclipse is there too, and
> Visual Studio has lots
> of momentum with support for multiple languages.
>
> For example, take this free Python IDE for VS
>
> http://www.codeplex.com/IronPythonStudio
>
> So the question is, anything like Eclipse or VS on
> the road map for the
> Revolution language?

Hi Sadhu et al,

For my Java work, I prefer Eclipse for most editing
work, and NetBeans when I need a good form builder.
Having used Visual Studio.NET as well, I definitely
appreciate the strength of their refactoring tools,
project-oriented approach and integration with unit
testing tools.

The big question is: can their approach be applied to
the xCard programming paradigm?
- forms in Java and .NET are code-generated, unlike
Revolution where stacks and cards are the core
- everything in Java and .NET revolves exclusively
around classes that may or may not represent visual
parts of your UI, but Revolution is not
object-oriented even if it has OO characteristics

What could be great additions to Revolution?
- integration with CVS, SVN and other source version
control systems, so that developers can cooperate more
easily, down to the level of individual scripts rather
than at the stack level
- more robust plug-in mechanism
- refactoring tools to automatically rename variables,
handler and function names in one go throughout a
project, easily extract handlers and functions from
scripts, etc.

Just my two cents,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====