Menu option on Mac

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Dec 11 15:22:24 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Andres Martinez wrote:

> Hello
>
> The simple applications that we develop do not use Menubars.
> However, the default Menubar created by Revolution on the stand
> alone for Mac includes the "About..." option as the first one, and
> I would like to do something when the user select that option.
>
> I have seen some Revolution applications doing this. How can I do it?

Andres,

In order to make the About... option in the default standalone menu
work on a Mac, you'll have to create at least a minimal menu. The
easiest way to do this is to open Tools > Menu Builder. Create a new
menu and give it a name, say "myMenu". Then delete the File and Edit
menus. In the remaining "Help" menu, delete the first item, "Help",
leaving only a "-" and the "About" item on the next line. Then close
the Menu Builder. Hide the new group. In the group script create a
menuPick handler like this:

on menuPick what
   switch what
     case "About"
       -- display the about box here
       break
   end switch
end menuPick

In an openStack or preOpenStack handler make this group the menubar
group:

   on openstack
     set the menubar of this stack to "myMenu"
   end openstack

Now when you create a standalone from the stack the about menu will
function. You don't have to worry about the Quit option because the
OS handles that.

Others may have different ideas about how to do this, but this will
work.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University