Packages

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Dec 9 00:10:14 EST 2007

Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>> If only it were that easy.  In addition to ".pkg" packages and ".app"
>> packages, there are also an unknown number of "files" which are
>> packages, including Garage Band's ".band" packages and others.
>>
>> Given the wide variety of ways the OS may use to determine whether a
>> folder is a folder or a package I think it's safe to say the best
>> solution would not rely on our scripted workarounds, but instead use the
>> OS API.
>
> While this has never bothered me, since the only bundles/packages I
> deal with are my own apps so I know what goes where, Rev seems a bit
> confused about such things.
>
> If you do "answer file" you can select a bundle e.g. .band,
> .iMovieProject, .app, .bundle

This is what changed due to public demand. Originally, bundles were only
accessible via the "answer folder" command. There was widespread hue and
cry (probably rightly so) because users thought of applications as
files, and Rev developers wanted "answer file" to reflect that and allow
the choice of files in the answer file dialog. Some time after RR took
over the MC engine, "answer file" started to include bundles in its
selection list. It's technically not correct but it feels right to users.

> After that, Rev sees it as a folder and "is there a file" will fail,
> while "is there a folder" will return true.

This is how the engine worked originally and the behavior was retained
for all other functions outside of "answer". Bundles are folders, so it
seems correct.

> If you do "answer folder", you will not be able to select one of these bundles.

True now, but you used to be able to.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com