copy large files in Rev on Mac

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Dec 7 15:04:50 EST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Trevor DeVore wrote:
>
>> On Dec 7, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:
>>> Did you have problems with "put URL into URL"?
>> I didn't try using 'put URL' as I might be copying folders. I just
>> modified the rev handlers to use robocopy on Vista and put them
>> into  my own libraries. I imagine put URL would not break though as
>> it uses  the system calls (internet libraries I believe).
>
> Good question.  Does it really do that for files not being
> transferred via HTTP/FTP?

I *think* Rev does (or at least did) and here is why. Back when I
first started using Revolution I created an application for a client.
The client did lots of development on Windows and after receiving a
build of the app I was building one of their developers asked me why
the app was loading a certain internet library dll as the app didn't
get any data from the internet. I was using "put URL" though for
moving files around. This was a maybe 5 years ago though.

> I've had a mysterious bug with a product we develop in which
> installing from a local machine to a shared network volume often
> results in the application not being able to find its accompanying
> files when run on the client from that server.
>
> The installer is a custom one we built with Rev, using "open
> file...","write...", and "close file..." to copy files from a CD to
> the volume.  We check for errors when we open the target file for
> write, and never have an error reported during install.  It's only
> after an apparently-successful install that we learn that something
> went wrong.
>
> The workaround for the subset of affected systems is to install
> locally and then copy to the server.  In that case it works well,
> but since the files are all the same it's been mystifying to try to
> find out what's failing.
>
> More mysterious is that in the two cases we've found this issue both
> the client and the server were running XP, not Vista.
>
> Got any insight as to why that could be failing?

Not sure but have you looked at what the destination path is to the
shared network volume in this case? Do you have some example
destination paths from systems where installing to a shared network
volume works? I can't think of why an error wouldn't be returned but
all issues with moving files around on Windows have had to do with
"//" or "." at the beginning of the path or the length of the entire
path being too long.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems