Packages (was: copy large files in Rev on Mac)

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Fri Dec 7 10:17:51 EST 2007

A problem I've now found with the whatIsThis()/isPackage() idea is
that though all the .bundle and .app folders I've looked at have a /
Contents/info.plist file, a .rtfd (rich text with additions) does not.

In TextEdit, create a rich text document. Type in some text, then
paste in an image. Save.
You'll now have a .rftd document. In the finder, control-click and
select 'show package contents'. All I can see is two files : 'Pasted
Graphic.tiff' and 'TXT.rtf'.

How would one identify this .rtfd document as a bundle/package? Of
course there's the file extension, but I think simply storing a list
of likely file extensions is going to fail sooner or later, as any
app may create document bundles if the developers so wish.

I've had a pretty good search around, and I can't find any useful
shell or applescript stuff, so it seems like the only reliable
methods involve system-level api calls - which implies an external or
an engine change...

And, as I think Chipp may have pointed out, bundles seem to show up
in the 'answer file' dialog, but not in 'the files'. This is surely
an inconsistency?

Best,

Mark