Packages (was: copy large files in Rev on Mac)

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:33:02 EST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 10:44 AM, Ian Wood <revlist at azurevision.co.uk> wrote:

> Off the top of my head the list includes:
> Pages documents and templates
> Keynote documents and templates
> iMovie themes, I don't use it enough to know if the docs are as well
> iDVD docs and templates
> iPhoto book/web templates
> GarageBand docs
>
> All of these consist of a package containing discrete media files and
> a bunch of XML files - as a developer I'd rather deal with that any
> day of the week over binary data.

Couldn't agree more. NeoOffice (OpenOffice) and TextEdit RTF files are also
packages containing Text and Image files.  I like to think of them like
webpages, if you know where things are and what their name is, then it's
very easy to use Rev to manipulate an RTF, iMovie or any such document
(package). Try using Rev to change the images in a .doc file.

Yes there are disadvantage of disguising folders and files as a single app
or document (rtf,movie,keynote), but they are far outweighed by the
advantages. Think of what the web would be like if every web page were in
fact a single .doc file;-)