Microsoft XML

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 29 12:49:33 EDT 2007

Dale Pond wrote:
> Some interesting history might help with this question... many years
> ago (1989?) Apple purchased the kernel for their spreadsheet used in
> AppleWorks from WingZ (now long since defunct). They paid $1,000,000
> for it. I know this because I was using WingZ 1.0 and absolutely love
> the program. It had (even at 1.0) far more capability than MS's
> skinned down bleached out program. WingZ went bust, I suppose, for
> lack of market. Anyhow, the current version of AppleWorks can accept
> a cut and paste of the data and formulae from WingZ. However, since
> Apple did not implement ALL of WingZ capabilities some things don't
> work as well.

So that's who killed Wingz.  I've always wondered about that.  Wingz was
an unusually useful program, and when it was EOL'd I never really
understood why; it was so original that I felt the only problem with it
was its marketing, the challenge of selling something that so redefines
the spreadsheet.

I've long advocated such an approach, doing away with the inflexibility
of row-and-column fixation which characterizes most of the market, and
which arguably is just a holdover from pre-GUI character-driven displays.

But it's a tough sell:  so many people have become so used to being
bound to the limits of traditional spreadsheets that it's difficult for
them to conceive of a more open way of working.

I have a half-dozen prototypes on my hard drive experimenting with a
similarly free-form approach to making a calculation tool like this.
The combination of the marketing challenge, Excel's dominance, and Rev's
lack of column alignment kept it on the backburner.  I can't feel to
badly that Apple's beating me to the punch on delivering this, since it
almost requires a company of their size to validate such an unusual
approach to get people to take it seriously.

One odd anomaly with Numbers, though:  no macro/scripting language?
Strange omission....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal