OT: Future of PHP - LAMP Based Web Site Technology

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Aug 24 21:06:56 EDT 2007

Sivakatirswami,

FWIW, Flickr actually *is* written in PHP. They just use browser
friendly URLs (which are easily configured with Apache to hide things
like ".php" extensions). Cal Henderson, the original lead developer,
actually wrote a great book: Building Scalable Web Sites (The Flickr
Way) which uses PHP throughout.

Facebook is also written in PHP, and many other large sites. I think
you'll find that the language has a huge installed base and will be
around quite some time.

With that said, I would focus on what people with similar needs to
your are using - and don't assume that you can tell just by visiting
their site. If you can't tell what they are using, there is a decent
chance it's PHP!

In regards to your html snippet, I would just say that using PHP
doesn't mean that you have to run *everything* through PHP. You can
most certainly supply links to static content. For example, there is
no reason per se to have your privacy policy coming from a PHP file-
it might as well just be privacy.html. If you use an off-the-shelf
CMS solution, you may find that everything gets tunneled through PHP
scripts, but even that is not so bad -- the performance is quite good
if properly configured (and/or if you aren't taking on a huge amount
of traffic). Either which way, I wouldn't find the snippet you posted
alarming - it all really depends on your needs and what kind of data
you are going to be displaying on those pages.

Hope that helps and feel free to contact me off-list if you have
specific PHP questions that I might be able to help you with.