Windows firewall issues and Rev

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Wed Aug 22 07:51:26 EDT 2007

Still trying to get a handle on this problem. I've not been able to
recreate it on my test computer. Only occurs on a computer of someone
else testing our program.

The startup code we are using simply looks at directories on, and
retrieves a few small files from, our remote server during the
startup process. Everything is done using the "put url xxx into yyy"
form. Why would this possibly be blocked by Windows Firewall? Turning
off the firewall on this other computer allows the startup process to
work fine. Turning it on blocks our program from starting up. I went
so far as to add the name of our standalone app to the "exception"
list in Windows Firewall on this other computer, but if the firewall
is left on, the code is still blocked.

Is there a way to detect a problem like this during program startup
so that we could at least warn the customer of the issue? I wish it
was as simple as trying to pull a small data file from the server and
then checking whether or not that process was successful, but the
program simply hangs during the "put url..." process. It goes no
further unless the firewall is turned off.

Thanks.
Richard Miller