revdb_execute problem

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Fri Aug 17 10:09:47 EDT 2007

Ken ,

> > I'm trying to squeeze more than one SQL commands into 1 single
> > revdb_execute request in a Rev cgi script.
>
> I've never done that, but I would assume that revdb_execute is limited
> to only one command because it needs to return a result back to Rev; if
> it could support more than one command, there would have to be special
> handling to get the results of multiple commands back (even if it's
> just a simple "empty/error" result for each).

Mmmh... things aren't clear...
Take a look at the revExecuteSQL command (equivalent to revdb_execute)
in the doc (Rev 2.5); it says :

    The SQLStatement is a string in Structured Query Language. (Do not include a semicolon
at the end of the SQLStatement.)

    Note:  Some database implementations, such as Oracle, are capable of handling a
multiple-line SQL statement.

First, it's not clear if each line of a multiple-line SQL statement should not be terminated
by a semicolon
or only the final one... Second, it sounds like multiple-line statements are allowed if the
DB implementation
accepts them... And according to various webpages, mySQL 4 does accept it...

> I'd break it into two separate revdb_execute statements instead.

that's what I've done, but I was actually trying to speed up some cgi scripts that feature
large numbers of mySQL queries by using multiple-line statements when queries are
similar...

Best,
JB