use-revolution Digest, Vol 47, Issue 19

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Thu Aug 16 12:25:14 EDT 2007

Stephen,

No you are not alone, just in the minority from the work we did. I
wish i kept the data, the company is now gone along with all the
files... I do remember that the score distribution was totally moved
down on the light on dark tests, so it looked like most everyone was
being affected in stead of just part of the group bombing out badly.
I'm pretty sure that Xerox, Apple and MS HI research has borne out
the same conclusions. Light on dark is great as long as folks can
select what works best for them. Only problem is users may not
realize their comprehension, speed and retention are going down using
the dark on light... Even though it may look better to you that does
not mean you function better with that one. Thats exactly why we did
the tests so that we would not just do what looked good, but what
worked better.

in both print and screens i find myself squinting when i go dark on
light. I dont notice this at first and just adjust, but in a while
start realizing im squinting and leaning a bit. I know the eye
doctors dont like you doing that for any long period. my eyes are at
boarder line needing glasses after years of staring at screens.

Im all for energy reduction and do just about everything i can to do
it, but in this case i just think its a bad idea unless its totally
switchable since it can just cause problems. Just seems like there
are many other ways of saving energy and carbon that are much more
active and just have all sorts of wins w/o losses. like driving less,
not only saving energy you are reducing your exposure to injury and
exposure to high point source pollutants as well as lowering stress!

cheers,

jeff

On Aug 16, 2007, at 6:50 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com