[OT] Energy Efficient Search Engine

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Wed Aug 15 16:49:30 EDT 2007

We did a large amount of reading studies for an NSF cdrom for kids a
while back and what worked best for various aspects of reading on the
screen vs the printed page.

Turns out black on white wins way over the reverse or messing with
either text or bg color much. you can go to a slight beige background
w/o much of a hit at all, but light text on dark gave a big downturn
in reading speed, comprehension and retention. Study was one on jr
high kids, but they did some side testing on grade school and high
school/adult an all indications were that the results were the same
on the gross level.

The study was done by UC Irvine educational testing group so was done
in strict enough ways to make NSF happy (not enough to make me
totally happy coming from a very heavy science background, but the
statistics were good enough and process was good enough to see a very
marked difference).

I know my eyes are a lot happier and i can scan thing soo much better
on black on white than the reverse.

At times you can go too far in trying to be green and crippling the
thing you were trying to do. I think the point that turning screens
off or to all black screen savers is a much more worthwhile way with
kids to save power rather than making the content harder for them to
take in. It also helps instill in them the philosophy that they
should turn things off when not in use, ie make it an active not a
passive process.

cheers,

Jeffrey Reynolds

On Aug 15, 2007, at 5:46 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com