"Preload in Memory"

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Aug 7 14:46:38 EDT 2007

Stephen Barncard wrote:
> Is there a script equivalent for setting the "Preload in memory"
> checkbox on an image control?
> The tooltip says "Preload in memory".

It's the alwaysbuffer property.

> Also are there advantages/disadvantages for having this box
> checked/unchecked? There is nothing in the docs to tell me how or why
> I'd use this.

Buffered objects cause the card to load slightly more slowly but
performance is better when they run. This mostly affects images.
Buffered images require twice as much RAM because an offscreen buffer
has to be set up that is the same size as the image. If your image isn't
an animated gif, you may not notice much difference.

Buffered player objects allow the movie controler at the bottom to
function; unbuffered players don't. Unbuffered players do allow you to
create objects that sit on top of the player though, while buffered
players always float on top of everything else.

I think (but am not sure) that other native controls like buttons and
fields, are always buffered automatically.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com