Standalone issue with Windows network file server

Paul Gries pgries at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Apr 30 13:30:44 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm new to Revolution, although I'm a Hypercard addict from years and
years ago.  I'm writing an application for a company that needs the
application to be stored on their file server (standard Windows TCP/
IP networking environment, Windows NT 2000).  The problem: the
application freezes when "save this stack" is executed from a data
stack.  It works fine when it's run from the desktop, either in NT or
on my Mac, but when it's run from the server it completely locks up
(including the messages about the application not responding, do I
want to end it?).  The application is small: there are only a couple
dozen cards.

I've combed the archives, and tried the following scripts; all of
them freeze the application, and it sometimes needs to be shut down
with the Task Manager.

Here's the first try:

on mouseUp
   save this stack
end mouseUp

Locking messages doesn't help:

on mouseUp
   lock messages
   save this stack
   -- I've also tried unlocking messages here, just in case
end mouseUp

Naming the stack explicitly doesn't help:

on mouseUp
   lock messages
   save stack "BlueMain"
end mouseUp

Canceling pending messages doesn't help (I didn't think it would, but
I was desperate!  :-)

on mouseUp
   repeat until the pendingMessages is empty
     cancel item 1 of line 1 of the pendingMessages
   end repeat
   save this stack
end mouseUp

Trying to save to another stack freezes as well:

on mouseUp
   lock messages
   save this stack as "BlueBackup.rev"
end mouseUp

So, do any gurus have any suggestions?  I'd appreciate any hints,
tips, prayers, or black magic rituals at this point!

Thank you very much,
Paul