3 button mice with Macs.

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 11:39:26 EDT 2007

Phil Jimmieson's recipe works with my unrecognised
Logitech mouse!

Frankly, I know that Richard Gaskin always has his
peripherals set up perfectly: HOWEVER, Tiemo, when you
are designing your software you should be designing it
for people like me (i.e. those who are so slow they
have badly configured mice) rather than people like
Richard Gaskin.

This reminds me of a conversation I had when designing
some software in Scotland about 5 years ago:

[boring story starting]

The program needed Quicktime to be installed for it to
work: whether on Mac or Win.

My employer said "Oh, surely, every person who
administers High School computer labs in Scotland [
our target market ] has QT installed."

So, I had a rip-roaring fight with that chap as to why
I should "waste" a day's work bunging QT detection
routines into the program and explanatiry screens
telling end users how to obtain and install QT if they
did not have it installed.

The product went out: I phoned every single buyer,
and, surprise, surprise, about 75% had not had QT
installed.

Work on the basis that all end users are a "bit like
that".

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.