[OT] ps2 mouse does not work in Feisty FINAL VERSION

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Mon Apr 23 12:13:39 EDT 2007

Ubuntu 7.04 ("Feisty Fawn") was released on 20th April (only 1 day late).

However, the PS2 mouse on one of my machines no longer works in Feisty,
in spite of the fact that several bug reports were made to Ubuntu in
this respect while this latest version was still in alpha.

In view of the fact that I have been a great proponent of Ubuntu in
connection with the pending new Rev/Linux, I feel responsible for it. I
am dismayed that such a bug should be allowed to escape.

I have been fairly critical towards Ubuntu, in my mind justifiably. For
your observation (and perhaps even your amusement) you might like to
observe the progress (or lack thereof) of this bug report and Ubuntu's
reaction to being criticized instead of praised:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/108382

To be fair, Ubuntu have responded in an excellent manner to all other
bug reports I have submitted, and none of these other bugs have escaped
into the final version of Feisty.

Also to be fair, this issue has not yet been concluded. Perhaps the
Ubuntu engineer responsible has been busting his guts helping to launch
Feisty in a timely fashion and prefers to throw senseless bureaucracy at
me rather than to simply take the bull by the horns (i.e. assume
responsibility) and give up part of his now-precious weekend in order to
deal with it. Or perhaps it is not so urgent as I imagine it should be.....

In sum, I would say that the easiest way to avoid all the
philosophical/ethical problems involved with bugs and the traumas
potentially extending from them is simply to do as much as possible to
avoid introducing them in the first place!

Bob